DC Crime Summary – January 6th – January 12th
• The first three homicides of the year took place this past week, and compared to the same time last year, there have been the same number of homicides.
• There have been 14 instances of sexual abuse so far this year, which is a 367% increase compared to this time last year.
• Roger Lewis Haggins, 30, died after he succumbed to injuries he sustained in a Wellington Park shooting on Friday, January 8th. No suspect information is available at this time, and police are investigating the incident.
• Joseph Andre Robinson, 31, was killed near the Minnesota Avenue Metro station in a shooting on Friday, January 8th. No suspect information is available at this time, and authorities are investigating the incident.
• An unidentified man was killed in a Hillcrest shooting on Sunday, January 10th. No suspect information is available at this time, and authorities are investigating the incident.
• Tavon Barber, 20, was sentenced to 40 years in prison after he was found guilty of breaking into two homes and sexually assaulting a woman in one of the burglaries in 2013.
• Three juveniles and an adult were injured in a shooting Friday night, January 8th, near Eastern Senior High School. Authorities are investigating the incident, and no suspect information is available at this time.
• A female pedestrian was injured in a hit and run incident in downtown DC on Monday afternoon. The victim was trapped under another car when authorities arrived, and she was taken to a local hospital.
Click here to receive daily crime and police news updates.
Ward 4 Highlights
There were 57 total crimes reported in Ward 4 this past week including 12 violent crimes. • This past week, 2 armed robberies with a gun and 6 other robberies were reported in Ward 4. So far this year, armed robberies with a gun have increased, and there have been 2 more assaults with a gun compared to this time last year. • There were 22 thefts from automobiles and 3 burglaries reported in Ward 4 this past week.
The first three homicides of the year took place this past week, and compared to the same time last year, there have been the same number of homicides. • So far this year there have been 14 instances of sexual abuse, which is 367% compared to this time last year. • So far this year there have been 7 incidents of sexual abuse reported in the District. • There were 7 incidents of sexual abuse and 29 armed robberies with a gun reported this past week in DC. • Armed robberies with a gun have increased about 34% compared to the same time last year. • There were 636 total crimes in DC this past week including 120 violent crimes.
Latest Crime Stats
Recent Crime News
Washington Post: D.C. police identify man fatally shot in Southeast D.C. on Sunday “A man who was fatally shot on Sunday evening in Southeast Washington has been identified as a 21-year-old man from Springfield, Va., according to D.C. police. Sergio A. Verastegui was pronounced dead at the scene of the shooting, which occurred about 5:45 p.m. in the 2000 block of 32nd Place SE, near the Hillcrest community.”
Fox5DC: Bicyclist says he was assaulted by group of teens in Christmas Eve attack “Police are investigating a violent attack by a group of teenagers near the Chinatown area in Northwest D.C. last month. A FOX 5 viewer contacted us after he said he was mobbed and assaulted by the group.”
WUSA9: 2 shootings, 1 stabbing reported in DC Monday night “Police are reporting two shootings and one stabbing late Monday night in the District area. The stabbing happened around 9 p.m. in the 1200 block of 18th Street in Northwest, D.C., Metropolitan police said. Authorities said the victim was stabbed during the robbery and is expected to survive.”
WUSA9: Pedestrian injured in NW DC hit and run “A pedestrian was trapped under a car after being the victim of a hit and run accident in Northwest, D.C. Monday afternoon, according to DC Fire EMS. The pedestrian was hit at 13th and K Street in Northwest, D.C. Police say the woman was transported to a local hospital.”
Fox5DC: EXCLUSIVE: Couple assaulted by group of teens at Metro station in unprovoked attack “Two more victims have come forward in another violent attack at a Metro station. It is the latest in a string of violent assaults happening in the transit system.”
Washington Post: Man shot Friday night in Southeast D.C. dies “A man who was shot Friday night in Southeast Washington died of his injuries, D.C. Police said Sunday, becoming the District’s second homicide victim of the year. D.C. Police said Roger Lewis Haggins, 30, of Fort Washington, died Saturday after being admitted to a local hospital in critical condition.”
WJLA: Man shot in southeast becomes DC’s third homicide for 2016 “A man shot in southeast Sunday succumbed to his injuries, making it DC’s third homicide for 2016, Metropolitan police said. The shooting occurred around 6 p.m. on the 3200 block of Park Dr., S.E., according to police and was pronounced dead about two hours later.”
Washington Post: Nine people shot in the District since Friday evening, one fatal “Eight people were wounded and one person was killed Friday night and early Saturday in six shootings in the District. Police said Joseph Andre Robinson, 31, of Southeast was killed in 2016’s first homicide. He was found about 9:30 p.m. in the 3700 block of Hayes Street NE.”
Washington Post: Local man sentenced to 40 years in prison for 2 burglaries, sexual assault “A 20-year-old District man was sentenced to 40 years in prison Friday in connection with two home burglaries nearly two years ago in Northeast Washington as well as the sexual assault of one of the homeowners.”
Washington Post: Police arrest suspect in December killing in Northeast Washington “D.C. police have arrested a suspect in the December fatal shooting of a man in the Northeast Washington neighborhood of Langston-Carver, according to a department statement. Kimberly Thompson, 58, of Northeast, has been charged with first-degree murder while armed. He was arrested on a warrant on Tuesday.”
Washington Post: Ex-D.C. juvenile justice worker pleads guilty in $42 million tax-ID-theft ring “A former D.C. juvenile justice worker pleaded guilty Tuesday to helping steal at least $2 million in fraudulent federal income tax refunds by giving personal information about hundreds of youth offenders to an identity-theft ring operating out of the District and suburban Maryland.”
WJLA: Concern among Metro riders after 3 high profile attacks in recent weeks “For the second time this week Metro Transit Police released surveillance photos of suspects in an assault and robbery. This as some passengers are expressing increased fear while riding metro.”
WJLA: Caught on Camera: Police seek 2 persons of interest in Northeast D.C. tire slashing, theft “D.C. police today released video of vandalism and burglary in the 600 block of 6th Street NE, in which a suspect was almost comical in his zeal to steal. He’s shown puncturing tires, then shaking car doors to see if he can get inside, which he does in one vehicle, then later, emerges and flees.”
NBC Washington: Man Sought in Attempted Robbery on Metro Train Near U Street Station “Metro police have released a series of photos of a man they are seeking in connection with an attempted robbery on a Metro train. A man sleeping on a Metro train near the U Street station was injured the night of Jan. 5 by a man who tried to rob him, Metro says.”
Washington Post: News crew says truck was broken into while covering anti-robbery news conference “The news crew from WJLA expected to cover a news conference on robbery prevention — not to report on the theft of their own equipment. A reporter from ABC 7 said that the crew’s truck was broken into while they were covering D.C. Mayor Muriel E. Bowser’s discussion Wednesday morning of new practices to help cut down on robberies.”
Washington Post: Fingerprints left on notebooks brought to D.C. burglary lead to arrest “D.C. police said the men took those items into a home they were burglarizing in Northeast Washington on an afternoon in July. Police said they used the gun. Why they brought the notebooks remain a mystery, though it proved their undoing.”
WJLA: 4 people wanted for armed robbery in Northeast D.C. “Four people are wanted for an armed robbery at a convenience store in the 1200 block of Brentwood Road in northeast Washington.”
Crime Tip of the Week
According to the Washington Post, there has been a “significant uptick” of Internet ads (such as those found on craigslist) that have led to armed robberies. This trend in crime has taken place in other cities around the nation, and therefore, it is important that you keep in the mind the following tips:
• If you are purchasing or selling an item through an online exchange, ask to make the sell/purchase in a crowded area. Typically, a location near a group of people will make your interaction more visible less likely that a criminal will try to take advantage of you.
• Do not make one of these exchanges alone. Try to bring a friend or family member if at all possible.
• It may be a good idea to talk to the other person before you meet him or her in person. This will give you a better chance of learning whether you feel safe making the transaction with this stranger.
This email was sent by the DC Police Union to nisa655.
Click here to unsubscribe and no longer receive messages.