DC Crime Summary – February 24th – March 1st
• The DC Police Union offers its deepest condolences to the family and friends of Prince William County Police Officer Ashley Guindon. Officer Guindon was fatally shot Saturday evening, when she responded to a call about a domestic matter. It was Officer Guindon’s first day patrolling on the street.
• There were 2 homicides this past week, bringing this year’s total number of homicides to 17.
• There were 19 armed robberies with a gun this past week, and there have been 247 total so far this year in the District. This is an 87% increase compared to this time last year.
• Adam Edwin Barker, 21, died after he was injured in a shooting Monday afternoon in the Garfield Heights neighborhood.
• Demetrius Christopher Medlay, 22, was identified as the man who was fatally shot Wednesday afternoon, February 24th, in the Congress Heights neighborhood. A man wearing a white t-shirt was described as a suspect. He was last seen fleeing in a green vehicle with VA tags.
• A person died in a house fire that broke out near Fort Davis park yesterday evening. An investigation is being conducted to determine the cause of the fire and the victim’s death.
• After a 17-year-old girl was attacked with a stun gun this past week, authorities are searching for a group of five juveniles. The assailants stole the victim’s shoes and money in the middle of a storm.
• Christopher Proctor, 26, was arrested in connection with the shooting death of Matthew Shlonsky, 24, near the Shaw Metro station this past summer.
• Anthony Chambers, 25, was arrested Friday in connection with a shooting at a barbershop in the Barracks Row neighborhood earlier this month. A man and his almost two-year-old son were injured in the shooting.
• A man was stabbed Thursday morning, February 25th, at the McDonald’s near the Verizon Center. No suspect information is available at this time, and authorities are investigating the incident.
Click here to receive daily crime and police news updates.
Ward 4 Highlights
There were 53 total crimes reported in Ward 4 this past week including 3 violent crimes. • This past week, 1 armed robbery with a gun and 2 other robberies were reported in Ward 4. So far this year, armed robberies with a gun have tripled, and assaults with a gun have more than doubled compared to this time last year. • There were 20 thefts from automobiles and 4 burglaries reported in Ward 4 this past week.
There were 2 homicides this past week, bringing this year’s total number of homicides to 17. • So far this year, there have been 44 incidents of sexual abuse reported in the District. • There were 3 incidents of sexual abuse and 19 armed robberies with a gun reported this past week in DC. • Armed robberies with a gun have increased about 87% compared to the same time last year. • There were 605 total crimes in DC this past week including 100 violent crimes.
Latest Crime Stats
Recent Crime News
Washington Post: D.C. police investigating six shootings Monday afternoon, Tuesday morning “Six people were shot and wounded — one of them critically — in Southeast Washington on Monday afternoon and early Tuesday, according to D.C. police. Authorities said they are investigating, and it was not immediately clear if any of the shootings were related.”
Washington Post: Deadly fire in Southeast Washington remains under investigation “Fire investigators were working on Tuesday to determine a cause for a deadly fire in Southeast Washington, but authorities said the blaze does not appear to be suspicious.”
WJLA: Woman stabbed in Northwest D.C. “A woman was stabbed in Northwest Washington Tuesday afternoon, police said. Metropolitan Police said the woman is conscious and breathing. She was transported by D.C. Fire to an area hospital with a serious but non-life-threatening injury.”
WJLA: Police: Man shot in Southeast D.C. “A man was shot in southeast Washington early Tuesday evening, according to Metropolitan Police. Police said the unidentified man was transported to the hospital conscious and breathing.”
Washington Post: At least 3 wounded in three separate shootings in Southeast Washington “A man was shot and critically wounded Monday afternoon in the Langston Terrace neighborhood of Southeast Washington, according to a D.C. police spokesman, just an hour after a youth was shot and wounded nearby.”
Washington Post: Person dies in house fire in Southeast Washington “One person died Monday night in a house fire in Southeast Washington, authorities said. A firefighter was seriously injured in the fire in the 4300 block of Massachusetts Avenue, said Timothy J. Wilson, the spokesman for the DC fire and EMS departments.”
Washington Post: Teen critically wounded in shooting at Lanham-area bus stop “A 17-year-old was shot and critically wounded in the Lanham area of Prince George’s County on Monday, and five people were shot in the District in separate incidents since Sunday night. One was in critical condition, D.C. police said.”
Washington Post: D.C. police arrest suspect in 3 sexual abuse incidents dating from 2012 “A 28-year-old man was arrested and charged in three separate sexual abuse incidents dating back nearly four years. Darius Nelson of Southeast Washington was charged with first degree sexual abuse and other charges. He was arrested and charged Friday.”
Washington Post: D.C. man sentenced to 18 years in prison for fatal shooting of his cousin “A District man was sentenced Friday to 18 years in prison for fatally shooting his cousin last summer, following a confrontation that included an argument over a missing ring. In December, Roosevelt Robinson, 67, pleaded guilty in D.C. Superior Court of fatally shooting Loretta Carswell, 63, outside her home in the 3700 block of 18th Street NE about 10:35 a.m. on Aug. 21.”
NBC Washington: Man Arrested in Three Sexual Assaults from 2012, 2013 “The Metropolitan Police Department has arrested a man in connection with three different sexual assaults occurring in 2012 and 2013. Darius Nelson, 28, of southeast Washington, was arrested on Feb. 26 and charged with three counts of first-degree sexual abuse. The crimes occurred in April 2012, August 2012, and September 2013.”
WJLA: Police: ‘Snatch-and-grab’ thief wanted in Northeast D.C. “Police are searching for a person involved in a ‘snatch-and-grab’ incident that occurred in the 2800 block of 15th St. in northeast Washington on Feb. 25.”
WUSA9: MISSING: 14-year-old girl from DC “DC Police need your help locating a missing 14-year-old girl from the District. Kimberly Hughes was last seen in the 800 block of I Street in Northeast.”
Washington Post: D.C. police arrest third suspect in barber shop shooting that wounded child, father “The third and final suspect sought in a shooting inside a crowded Barracks Row barber shop that wounded a man and his 21-month-old son this month has been arrested, D.C. police said Friday.”
Washington Post: D.C. police search for juveniles who used stun gun to attack girl in storm “Authorities are investigating a Wednesday night attack on a girl in Southeast Washington, in which a group used a stun gun to steal her shoes and money, a D.C. police spokesman said.”
Washington Post: Police identify 22-year-old fatally shot in Southeast Washington “A man who was shot and killed Wednesday afternoon on a busy street in Southeast Washington has been identified as a 22-year-old, according to D.C. police. Demetrius Christopher Medlay of Southeast died at an area hospital shortly after the 2:50 p.m. shooting in the 3100 block of Martin Luther King Jr. Avenue SE.”
Washington Post: D.C. police search for juveniles who used stun gun to attack girl in storm “Authorities are investigating a Wednesday night attack on a girl in Southeast Washington, in which a group used a stun gun to steal her shoes and money, a D.C. police spokesman said. Officer Sean Hickman, a D.C. police spokesman, said the victim was walking in the 500 block of 14th Street SE when she was approached by a group of five juveniles.”
NBC Washington: DC Sex Abuser Challenging Conviction Due to Use of Cellphone Tracker “D.C. police have used secret technology for years to track cellphones without search warrants — and a man found guilty of sexual assault is now challenging his conviction because he says use of the tool violated his rights.”
WUSA9: Police: man stabbed at DC McDonald’s “A man was stabbed at the D.C. McDonald’s near the Verizon Center Thursday morning, Metropolitan police said. The stabbing happened at 601 F St. in Northwest, D.C., around 6:44 a.m., authorities said. The victim was found conscious.”
NBC Washington: 13-Year-Old Girl Missing From DC “D.C. police are asking for help finding a missing 13-year-old girl. Skyy Young was last seen in the 1400 block of Alabama Avenue SE at 6:55 a.m. Wednesday. She is 5 feet 6 inches tall, weighs 160 pounds, and has brown eyes and black curly braids, police said.”
Washington Post: Man is fatally shot along busy Southeast Washington street “A man was shot and killed Wednesday afternoon on a busy street in Southeast Washington, D.C. police said. Officers received calls for a shooting in the 3100 block of Martin Luther King Jr. Avenue about 2:45 p.m. and found a victim who was conscious and breathing, police said. The victim was taken to a hospital,where he was later pronounced dead, said Officer Sean Hickman, a police spokesman.”
Washington Post: Police charge third suspect in last year’s fatal shooting at Shaw Metro “D.C. police on Wednesday announced a third arrest in the August killing of a 24-year-old American University graduate who was caught in the crossfire of a shooting outside the Shaw Metro station in Northwest Washington.”
Washington Post: Shooting aboard Metro train in D.C. followed robbery, police say “The shooting that wounded a man aboard a Metro train in Anacostia on Tuesday afternoon occurred after the victim tried to retrieve money taken during a robbery, according to an arrest affidavit filed in court. Police said the victim was shot as he tried to punch the youngest of the two alleged assailants — 16-year-old Hassan Graves. A 19-year-old, Andre Cortez Broadie of Northeast, also was arrested in the case.”
WJLA: Man carrying hammer arrested for sex abuse, threats, assault with deadly weapon “Capitol Police arrested a man for sex abuse, threats to do bodily harm and assault with a deadly weapon Feb. 18. Police responded to the 100 block of Constitution Avenue Northeast last Thursday for reports of two men with hammers.”
Crime Tip of the Week
This past week, there were over 450 thefts in the District, and there have been over 3,000 thefts so far this year. As the weather warms up, DC residents may find themselves more likely to enjoy the District’s nightlife. With this said, it is important to remember the following safety tips to protect yourself.
• If you have a couple of drinks, do not walk city streets alone. Travel in groups and in well-lit areas.
• Keep your phone, wallet, and other valuables close to you at all times. Anytime a belonging is left unattended, it is more likely that the item becomes stolen.
• Trust your instincts. If you are in an area or a situation that makes you feel uncomfortable, then leave. Safety should always be your number one priority.
This email was sent by the DC Police Union to email@example.com.
Click here to unsubscribe and no longer receive messages.