The Capital Guardian Youth ChalleNGe Academy is a District of Columbia program that focuses on serving disengaged/at-risk youth ages 16-18 that choose to make major changes in their lives and are willing to take responsibility for making them happen. The Academy is a 17½ month long, military style, path to self-improvement that helps to enhance personal tools young adults will use in their life. It requires both attention and commitment through five (5) months of residential activities and twelve (12) months of post residential support of a Case Manager that is assigned and a Mentor each participant is required to obtain prior to enrollment.
The Academy is designed around eight (8) core components needed for successful living. Each component focuses on the complete development of each participant. Components are:
- Academic Excellence: Participants will prepare themselves to test for the GED
- Health & Hygiene: Participants will undergo hygiene training
- Job Skills: Participants will identify career goals, construct a resume, obtain interviewing skills, and job shadow
- Leadership & Followership: Participants will undergo an evaluation of performance in leadership and followership positions within student command structure
- Life Coping Skills: Participants will develop a life plan, undergo anger management/conflict resolution, and money management
- Physical Fitness: Participants will undergo physical training, team sports and test for the Presidential Council on Physical Fitness
- Responsible Citizenship: Participants will participant in student government, register to vote (if eligible), and register for selective service
- Service to Community: Participants will participate in community service projects in the District of Columbia
We have OPEN ENROLLMENT for our class staring July 11, 2016. If you or anyone you know that has a Youth in need of structure, discipline or just need to be in a different environment for their success, please visit our website at www.CGYCA.org and complete an online application.
If you have any questions or you would like to learn more about the Academy, please feel free to call (202) 730-1579.
Thank you in advance for your support and we look forward serving DC Youth.
Yaiza E. Burrell
Capital Guardian Youth ChalleNGe Academy
2001 East Capitol St, SE – Washington, D.C. 20003-1719
3201 Oak Hill Drive – Laurel, MD 20724
Attachment(s) from admit | View attachments on the web
1 of 1 File(s)